Article 1: Name and Registered Office
1. The name of the Forum is: DEVELOPMENT POLICY MANAGEMENT FORUM, hereinafter referred to as "DPMF".
2. The Forum has its registered offices in Addis Ababa , Ethiopia and Nairobi, Kenya.
3. The Secretariat of the Forum is at the head quarters of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UN/ECA) in Addis Ababa , Ethiopia.
4. The location of the Forum Secretariat and the place of its registration can be changed on the recommendation of the DPMF Director and approval of the DPMF Board.
Article 2: Aim
1. The overall aim of DPMF is to enhance institutional capacity for development policy management within the framework of good governance and the democratization process taking place in sub-Saharan Africa.
In particular DPMF will focus on (a) State institutions responsible for policy formulation, policy decision and policy implementation; (b) National Institutions of Development Policy Management which train policy makers and implementers and undertake research on policy issues; (c) Universities and researches concerned with issues of democracy, governance and development issues (d) Civil society groups/organizations which are concerned with improvement of policies and their implementation. To this end, it aims to establish and maintain effective linkages between researchers, practitioners and civil society leaders involved in this area of activity in African countries and also with external agencies working with them.
2. DPMF is a non-governmental, non-profit making organization.
Its members are both individuals involved in different aspects of the policy process, as well as research and training institutions specializing in development management.
Article 3: Specific Objectives
The specific objectives for which DPMF is established are:
a) to provide a forum for discussion and assessment of the institutionalization of democracy and good governance;
b) to provide training for good governance, post-conflict peace-building and enhanced efficiency in policy making and implementation to strategically placed civil servants, politicians, judicial and security officials and Civil Society organizations;
c) to undertake applied research on issues of policy making and implementation;
d) to provide a means of communication on institutional development issues and on conflict management which responds to the current needs of researchers and practitioners in Africa ;
e) to assemble and make accessible information on the location, nature and availability of relevant literature, data and expertise for the study and analysis of issues and/or the execution of development programs;
Article 4: Membership
Membership of the DPMF shall be individual and corporate.
a) Corporate membership shall be open to national associations, research institutes, university departments of public administration, non-governmental organizations, business communities, and such other corporate bodies that agree to the Aims and Objectives of the DPMF.
b) Individual membership is open to any person such, as African researcher, scholar, NGO activist, or policy-maker, who agrees with the Aims and Objectives of the DPMF;
c) Annual membership fee shall be set for each membership category by the General Assembly on the recommendation of the Board;
d) A member who fails to pay membership fee for two years in a row shall not have the right of a vote or to be voted into office.
Article 5: Capital
The Forum shall obtain its financial means from:
a) membership fees of individuals and organizations;
b) contributions and donations made by Donors, Foundations, UN Agencies and other public or private institutions;
c) revenues from contractual research and/or services;
d) all revenues, donations and income generated from research and publications must be in conformity with the objectives of the Forum and used to further the same objectives;
Article 6 : DPMF's bodies
The Forum shall have the following bodies:
a) A General Assembly made up of the Forum's members, both institutions and individuals;
b) A Board consisting of eight elected members, one member representing the UNECA as hosting Institution and the Executive Director as a non-voting member;
c) A Secretariat with an establishment headed by an Executive Director.
Article 7: The General Assembly
a) It shall consist of members of the Forum, both institutions and individuals;
b) It shall elect a Chairperson who shall also be the Chairperson of the Board. The Chairperson must be a citizen of an African country;
c) The General Assembly shall elect members of the Board from the names submitted to it by the Chairperson of the Assembly and the Executive Director of the Forum. Board members will be elected in their personal capacity and shall be drawn from policy makers/implementers, researchers, training institutes and civil society organizations leaders. The Board will select/elect its own chairperson;
d) It shall meet once every two years;
e) The General Assembly shall provide general orientation and thrust for the activities of the forum;
f) The General Assembly shall receive bi-annual reports from the Executive Director;
g) The General Assembly shall receive bi-annual audited accounts of the Forum from the Executive Director;
h) The General Assembly shall approve or amend the Statutes of the Forum by a simple majority;
i) The General Assembly is the only body which can dissolve the Forum by two thirds majority;
j) The Executive Director of the Forum shall be the Secretary of the General Assembly.
Article 8: The Board
a) The Board shall have nine members including a representative of the host institute (the UNECA). Eight of the Board member must be citizens of African countries and one member from outside Africa (non-African or African in the Diaspora). Of the nine members, at least two must be women;
b) The African members of the Board shall represent the four regions of sub-Saharan Africa (East, West, Central and Southern regions);
c) Board members shall be elected in their personal capacity. They shall serve for a period of three years, renewable once through election; Members of the Board must have significant experience/knowledge in development management and African development problems;
d) The Board shall be responsible for developing general policies and programs to present to the General Assembly for discussion and approval;
e) The Board shall be responsible for the general supervision of the Secretariat in implementing policies and programs approved by the General Assembly;
f) The Board shall appoint and can also terminate the appointment of the Executive Director of the Forum after due process. The Executive Director shall be both a Secretary and a non-voting member of the Board;
g) The Board shall recommend to the Executive Director general fund-raising strategies and provide the Director with necessary support for his/her efforts in fund-raising;
h) The Board shall appoint an external auditor to audit the
i) The Board shall approve programs, and budget of the forum;
j) The Board shall meet once a year. The Chairperson may call for an extraordinary meeting of the Board if he/she deems it necessary; also any five members of the Board may request an extraordinary meeting after consultation with and agreement of the Chairperson;
k) The Board can appoint up to two specialized committees from members of the Forum to help the Executive Secretary;
l) The Board shall elect a Vice-President from its members
m) Suspension or discharge other than at a Board members own request, may be effected by a vote of half the members of the Board. The Board member concerned may not vote on the relevant motion;
n) The quorum for the Board meetings shall be four elected members.
o) In case the Chairman or Vice-Chairman are not present, the members can elect a person from amongst those present to chair the meeting.
Article 9: Secretariat
1. The Secretariat shall be headed by an Executive Director who will be appointed by the Board and will be directly responsible to the Board.
2. The Board shall specify in the internal rules and regulations, the scope and duties of the Secretariat.
3. The establishment of the Secretariat shall be determined by the Board in consultation with the Executive Director.
Article 10: The Executive Director
1. The Executive Director shall be the Secretary of the Board and a non-voting member;
2. The Executive Director shall be responsible for carrying out the mandate of the Forum and for implementing the policies and decisions of the Board and the General Assembly;
3. The Executive Director shall be responsible for supervising and managing the day-to-day activities of the DPMF;
4. The Executive Director shall be responsible for fund-raising for DPMF and for submitting financial reports to the Board and the Donors;
5. When the post of the Executive Director becomes vacant, it shall be advertised as widely as possible. The Board shall appoint a search committee, a selection committee and an appointment committee. The final decision of appointment of the Executive Director shall be made by the Board;
6. With due observance of the preceding paragraphs, all remaining matters concerning the Executive Director and the Secretariat shall be elaborated in the Forum's internal rules and regulations.
Article 11: Representation of DPMF
1. DPMF shall have the power to enter into agreements with other parties in order to further the objectives and interest of DPMF as stated in Articles 2 and 3.
2. DPMF shall be represented both in court and otherwise by the Board or the Executive Director as the case may be.
Article 12: Meetings
1. The Board shall meet at least once a year to review the Progress of the Forum. Otherwise the Board may hold emergency meetings as deemed necessary by the President.
2. Arrangements shall be set out in the Forum's Internal Rules and Regulations concerning the determination of the agenda, the convocation of meetings, the management and the decision-making process at meetings of DPMF's individual bodies, as well as any further matters that may be necessary.
Article 13: Internal Rules and Regulations
DPMF shall be governed by internal rules and regulations which shall be approved by the Board and which may not in any way conflict with the provisions of the Articles of associations of the Forum.
Article 14: Financial Year, Annual Accounts, Budget
1. The Forum's financial year shall correspond to the calendar year;
2. The Board shall approve the annual budget for each financial year and shall receive from the Executive Director a financial report at the end of each year. These reports shall also be provided to the donors contributing financially to the Forum;
3. The annual accounts of the Forum shall be accompanied by an auditor's report to be drawn up by a chartered accountant designated by the Board.
Article 15: Amendment to the Articles of Association and Dissolution
1. The Board can discuss and take a decision on amending the DPMF's Article of Association or the dissolution of the Forum. It shall then recommend its decision to the General Assembly, which is the supreme body to take such decisions to amend the Article of Association or dissolving the Forum. Thereafter, a valid resolution by the General Assembly will require at least a two-thirds majority of its members present at the General Assembly.
2. Proposals regarding an amendment to the Articles of Association or the dissolution of DPMF shall be submitted to the President of the Board and shall in turn be communicated to all members of the Board at least eight weeks before convening a meeting for their resolution by the Board and for their recommendation to the General Assembly.
3. A resolution to dissolve DPMF shall include a determination of the date on which the dissolution shall be effective as well as a designation of the person who shall be in charge of the liquidation.
4. A positive balance upon liquidation shall be used to establish a Fund for furthering the objectives for which DPMF was founded.
5. Finally, any amendment to the Articles of Association or dissolution of DPMF shall be reported to the Register of the Forum.
This is the final Statutes which was approved by DPMF General Assembly held on 3rd December 2001. It was signed by the following members of DPMF who attended the General Assembly:
Prof. Ali Mazrui - Chairperson of the General Assembly Meeting
Dr. Sadig Rasheed - Chairman of DPMF No. Name Organization / Institution
1. Mr. Abubakar Badawy Kenya National Assembly
2. Prof. Abdalla Bujra Development Policy Management Forum
3. Prof. Sipho Buthelezi Africa Institute of South Africa
4. Dr. Mulenga M.C. Bwalya National Institute of Public Administration, Zambia
5. Mr. Atta El-Battahani aUniversity of Khartoum, Sudan
6. Ms. Audrey Kgosidimtsi Institute of Development Management, Botswana
7. Prof. Ali Mazrui State University of New York, Binghampton
8. Prof. Ahmed Mohiddin Africa Foundation, Kenya
9. Mr. Arthur Mwakapugi President s Office, Planning Commission, Tanzania
10. Mr. Pierre Vincent Ngambo Fondjo Ministere de La Fonction Publique , Cameroon
11. Mr. Jacques Mariel Nzouankeu African Civil Service Observatory , Benin
12. Prof. Haroub Othman IDS University of Dar es Salaam , Tanzania
13. Ms. Turkia Ould Daddah International Civil Service Commission, Mauritania
14. Dr. Sadig Rasheed Chairman of DPMF , USA
15. Prof. Severine Rugumamu African Association of Political Science , Zimbabwe
16. Dr. Hope Sadza African Women s University , Zimbabwe
17. Dr. Aicha Tamboura-Drawara AAWORD, Senegal
18. Ms. Zaynab Matitu Vulu Tanzania Media Women